Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Broccoli-Cheddar Soup



Today for lunch, Ali made broccoli grilled cheese... which I opted out of for my delicious BLT: turkey bacon, horseradish cheddar, spinach, and heirloom tomato.



I can't escape a broccoli and cheese temptation, though, so I made broccoli-cheddar soup this evening, and silly me, after tweeting, I got recipe requests from some friends. Enjoy.




Broccoli-Cheddar Soup:

2 tablespoons butter

1 small onion, finely diced

1 stalk celery, finely diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 cups broccoli (about 4 small heads) cut into very small pieces (you want them to fit on a spoon)

2 cups chicken stock (I used two chicken bouillon cubes dissolved in two cups of hot water)

2 cups milk

1/2 cup flour

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Salt and white pepper

Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, add onions and celery plus a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft. Add garlic, cook for another minute. Add broccoli, cook for one minute, then add the chicken stock and cover. Allow the broth to come to a boil, and cook until the broccoli is soft.

Whisk together flour and milk until combined. Add this mixture to the pot, stirring gently. The soup will thicken (yay starch!) and once it's thick and creamy looking, add the grated cheddar. Salt and pepper to taste, serve with toast.

17 comments:

Food Gal said...

With autumn's first chill in the air already, a creamy, cheesy soup like this would definitely hit the spot now.

Lisa said...

Mmmm, rich creamy soup. That looks like the perfect dinner for a cold winter's night.

Amanda said...

I was just thinking about broccoli cheese soup yesterday! Your recipe sounds super easy to make and I happen to have all the ingredients. I'm making this one this weekend!

Easy Lifestyles said...

Excellent recipes. Stop by and check out some of my recipes also

Unknown said...

I'm going to make this for the second time today! Creamy soup that isn't obscenely bad for you is always lovely to encounter. This time, I'm going to try to incorporate the broccoli stems as well, because I hate it when I end up tossing them because my recipes don't call for them.

mrsleuch said...

stumbled across your recipe on pinterest and made it tonight for dinner. Got rave reviews from the whole family. I added a handful of chopped baby carrots as well just because we like them and I have to sneak in a little extra veggie when ever I can! Thanks for a great new addition to our cookbook!!!

Lauren said...

Just made this today. It was so easy to make and came out wonderfully. Thank you for the fansatic recipe.

Mel said...

found your recipe on pinterest and will be trying it out. looks so yummy

Donna M. said...

I just made this soup. Surprised as to how easy it was to make. But even more surprised as to how tasty it is. And I don't care for broccoli soup. First time I've made broccoli soup and I will continue to use this recipe, thank you so much!!

Susan said...

Looks good! I will have to try it. Thanksn!

Carita De Angel said...

Second time doing it! So yummy and my whole family loves it! Thanks

PinchOfSpice said...

YUM! Just made it and it was so good. Added some white cheddar to make it extra cheesy. YUM!

Brandi said...

Found your recipe on pinterest! Made it this evening for supper, it was delicious. Added a pinch of paprika!! It was sooo good!

Denise said...

The soup looks fantastic and I absolutely would love to have a bowl of this for lunch!

jules said...

I came across your recipe on pinterest last week and this is the second time I'm making it. I'm oddly very allergic to uncooked carrots and celery, but I'm ok once they are cooked. I bought the pre-chopped mix at trader joes so i could just throw it in and sauté it without touching it and it worked perfectly! YUM!

Admin said...

Tnx fore information


you want to loss weight fast read more information here


and for more information about Broccoli cheddar soup

recipe

Unknown said...

So I don't have regular milk on hand, just almond milk would you recommend using that or substituting something in place for the milk?