Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Winter Term, Day Twenty Eight: PHO Real!


Started off my day with the beginnings of pho beef broth (blanching the bones, charring the onions and ginger, toasting the spices), but as I worked, I needed sustenance. I made a meatball sandwich on wheat bread with provolone, basil, crushed red pepper, tomato sauce and then melted, and then topped with spinach, salt and pepper, and olive oil.



I prepped all the things for last minute dinner making, and then headed to the airport with Brandi. We returned, Daniel finished up the summer rolls (fillings included tamari-marinated fried tofu, bean sprouts, green onions, garlic chives, cilantro, basil, carrots, cucumbers, pickled daikon, and mung bean noodles, with sweet chili sauce and peanut sauce to top) and I finished prepping the beef pho: boiling the beef stock, cooking the rice noodles, then pouring the boiling broth over the thinly sliced flank steak and noodles. Yoshi, Brandi, Daniel, Aries and I then topped the soup with bean sprouts, lime, basil, green onions, hoisin sauce, sriracha and sambal, depending on taste.







No comments: